Can you believe 2015 is over? It feels like it just started!
We had a big year here at TreePeople! We worked with Angelenos at the community and policy levels to make a difference in our city, and we’re thrilled by the results. Here are 10 of our proudest accomplishments from the past year:
1. Over 9,600 elementary students visited Coldwater Canyon Park for an Eco-tour to learn about the importance of trees, our watershed and how to live more sustainably!
2. We hosted over 200 urban and mountain forestry events, with the help of 4,500 dedicated volunteers. (We couldn’t have done it without YOU!)
3. We planted over 5,800 trees and cared for 6,350 more!
4. We mapped over 450,000 trees using TreeMapLA, in nearly 30 cities in LA County.
5. Our beautiful Coldwater Canyon Park hosted over 4,600 people for public events include performances, tours and workshops!
6. We distributed 2,778 rain barrels! (That’s a potential of 1,944,600 gallons of water captured in 2015!)
7. We partnered with local water agencies to launch the Greater LA Water Collaborative for the StormCatcher project, pilot-to-scale demonstration retrofitting properties across Los Angeles County to harvest rainwater. We were even joined by Mayor Garcetti and Country Supervisor Kuehl for its ribbon cutting this fall!
8. We distributed nearly 2,000 fruit trees to low-income communities–helping to green neighborhoods and provide healthy produce for people who need it most.
9. We removed over 2 tons of debris and invasive plants from local mountains!
10. We mobilized hundreds of Angelenos to advocate for trees and stormwater capture in response to the Willits vs. City of Los Angeles settlement!
What a year! We’re so thankful you were part of it and can’t wait to see what we accomplish together in the next year.
Want to support our work in 2016? Make an end of year, tax-deductible donation now to support a green, sustainable Los Angeles.